UTV News

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1]

News

Hong Kong protests: YouTube shuts accounts over disinformation

Hong Kong protests: YouTube shuts accounts over disinformation
August 23
14:17 2019

(UTV|COLOMBO) – Google has shut down 210 channels on YouTube it said were part of a “coordinated” attempt to post material about the ongoing protests in Hong Kong.

The firm said attempts had been made to “disguise the origin of these accounts and other activity commonly associated with coordinated influence operations”.

The search giant linked its move to similar action taken by Twitter and Facebook earlier this week.

However, unlike those companies, Google stopped short of explicitly saying it believed the Chinese government had been behind the now-disabled accounts.

Nor would it share further details on the nature or motivation of the material it had taken down from its platform.

“Earlier this week,” a statement read, “as part of our ongoing efforts to combat coordinated influence operations, we disabled 210 channels on YouTube when we discovered channels in this network behaved in a coordinated manner while uploading videos related to the ongoing protests in Hong Kong.

“This discovery was consistent with recent observations and actions related to China announced by Facebook and Twitter.”

 

(Agencies)

 

 

Keeping up to date with breaking news while you are on the move is now simple with UTV Alerts Type REG UTV and send to 77000 on your Dialog, Airtel, or Hutch mobile connection

 

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

View All Sports News

View All Business News

View All International News

View All Entertainment News

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
error: Content is protected !!